The Seal of the Historical Society of the Episcopal Church was designed by the Reverend Arnold Harris Hord, a charter member, and adopted at the Annual Meeting of April 20, 1939. In the language of heraldry, these arms are described as Purpure, a pale gules with the Tower of the Church at Jamestown argent, date 1607 above and 1910 below, between the Arms of the See of Canterbury and an Iona Cross of the last, a bordure or, with the inscription sable.
THE TOWER OF THE CHURCH AT JAMESTOWN, VIRGINIARepresents the founding of the Church in the United States in the year 1607. The date appears above the Tower and the Society's date founding, 1910, appears below.
THE ARMS OF THE SEE OF CANTERBURY
THE IONA CROSS
MOTTO — Quid operatus sit Deus in Christo
Historical Society of the Episcopal Church
Dedicated to preserving and disseminating information about the history of the Episcopal Church and its antecedents.